Ali's Adventures

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Darwin and Litchfield National Park.

So off I toddled, on my own once more, to the hot plains of Darwin! I arrived in late enough the first night, so I just went to bed. The next morning I was a busy beaver trying to organise a trip to the national parks, which I did for the next day and then I set off to discover Darwin. It is completely different to what I expected. It's really small, with only 3 main streets, although there are plenty of large suburbs. It is incomparable to any of the east coast cities as it's more what we would classify as a town at home. It is a very busy spot, and would have been even more so a few weeks earlier before it started getting too hot. The difference in the heat from Cairns was a shock to the system. It's very humeid, and that's in the dry season, apparently the wet season in unbearable!

We had an early start of 6.30am on the first morning of the trip. Our first stop was an Aboriginal Cultural Experience where we learned how to throw a spear using a woomera, which is a device used to throw it; how to make rope and jewellery, how to play the didgeridoo (very badly) and the traditional way of making fire. It was a great laugh and a very good way of getting the group (of 7)talking. I was also the only girl to hit the Kangaroo with the spear, so I was very proud of myself. It also meant that I got off dishwashing duty that night!

Then it was all go towards Litchfield N.P. On the first dirt track our trailer got a puncture! We thought this was a sign of things to come! The lads all jumped to it and had us on our way in no time!!Our first stop in the park was Wangi Falls
This is the biggest falls in Litchfield, with the largest plungepool to swim in. We had lunch here, surrounded by Kites which dive at you and try to take your sangers(I'm trying to fit in with the Aussie lingo) out of your hands!

Next it was off to Tolmer Falls. We had a restricted access permit for this and were able to go up to the gorge at the top of the falls and have a swim. Nobody else was there and it was great, apart from the hundreds of water skaters/gliders (spiders) which stuck to your back when you came out of the water!

Our final scenic stop was at the Buley Rockhole. This was just heavenly! Loads of little rockpools, shallow and deep, with cascades go leor! It was like a spa! After this we had to make our way to our campsite for the night. We had a quick stop in the Adelaide River Pub to say hello to Charlie the Buffalo from Crocodile Dundee and then it was off to our airstrip from World War II to camp under the stars in our swags! No tents for us!!

2 Comments:

  • I trust it wasn't a real kangaroo?!

    By Blogger Dee, at 1:26 AM  

  • Of course not! Only a foam replica of one! Don't think the real thing would have stood there long enough for me to hit it!!

    By Blogger Alison, at 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home